03 | 20 | 18 

O L O M O U C. 

Dobry Den. (That's Hello in Czech!) 

Currently, I'm sitting in "Cross Cafe" in the heart of my college town. Olomouc. It's located about three hours east of Prague. We arrived here 10 days ago, but given the never ending roller coaster of emotions I've experienced, this feels like a circus ride i'll never get off of…this is culture shock. 

The night we pulled in to Olomouc, we checked in to our dorms and received a key to our door, and handed a set of old, orange, striped sheets. When we finally got all of our bags up 5 flights of stairs, we unlocked our pod door and were surprised to see we'd be sharing a bathroom and kitchen with 6 other men. Oh, and to top it all off, we also shortly came to the conclusion that had zero internet access. I was trying not to think about the Paris high I was coming off of, and the discouragement I was feeling. I knew I had to focus on the positives, which was that we were finally with other Americans we knew. That night we walked to Globus (a Costco sized store, with Dollar General quality merchandise.) My inner Teresa Zoellner kicked in and I ended up buying new bedding, a few groceries, and a rug to make the place a little homeier. The next day was my 22nd birthday and thats when the realization and all the "feels" really set in…

My 22nd birthday was one of the worst days i've had thus far in my life. I woke up extremely saddened that I didn't have one single person I loved by my side to celebrate with. I tweeted and said "trying to be happy on your birthday without the people you love, is like trying to force the sun to shine on a rainy day." I dont think it's this way for everyone, but I am very close to my family. They're my best friends…so to not have them was tough to deal with. Theres a girl in my group, Cara, bless her heart... she sent me the nicest text telling me Happy Birthday and how excited she was for our upcoming friendship. Something that typically you take for granted, meant so much to me and I'm really thankful for her and her kind words and big heart. By noon that day, I'd walked out of a cafe we were sitting at, and broke down to my mom on the phone. Hard. I pleaded to her that I was certain I couldn't go through with this and that this was a mistake coming here. I really was feeling a lot of regret…so I sat. I moped. I bawled. And thought. Lonnngggg and hard. Then…I prayed. I realized God was telling me,"Abbie, in the end you'll feel far worse going home and giving up on a dream you've had your whole life. You need to stick it out. You need to push through and persevere. 

Fast forward to this moment and I cant say i'm ecstatic about being here yet, but i've accepted that this is exactly where i'm suppose to be. After learning a few eye-opening things about the Czech culture, I can definitely say God knew back in October when I was 3 days late to sign up, yet still was accepted into this program, He wanted or even needed me to do this. You see, over 65% of the Czech culture is atheist. That is terrifying. And you can see it in their daily life. When you walk down the streets you see abandoned churches, and the satanic street art, the effects of what communism did to this country is ever present. I went to the big shopping mall here a couple of days ago, and walked past a man in a shirt that said "Hail Satan." My language professor has anti christ markings tattooed on her arms, for her students to see. The devils existence is prominent here and because of that, my relationship with Christ has grown more in three weeks than it ever has. 

Regardless of the lack of belief and faith here in the Czech, the adaptation of the language barrier, the 7 hour time difference, the freezing weather (colder than Nebraska *eye roll*) and the new food, people, and  surroundings all contributes to the awful feeling of homesickness that almost every study abroad student experiences at some point or another during their time away from home. If you ask any one of them when their back home if they'd go back on their decision to study away from home, not one of them have said they would go back on the opportunity given to them. This is a LIFE JOURNEY.. This is Gods plan. Living for the current, the present. Taking things day by day. The "destination" is self - growth, self - realization, and most importantly…self - love. 

Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life. | Proverbs 4:23 

Keep your faith, soldiers. 

Best, 
Abigayle 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog